Friday, February 27, 2009

West Side Story

Happy Birthday Allen!!!

West Side Story was AMAZING.  It was a preview, and was SO affordable thanks to the people at SAGE!

Now about the show.  The scenes of just one sex were FANTASTIC, like "America" and "Officer Krupke" (sp?).  "There's a place for us" is sung by a sweet boy soprano who was a bit off his game though.  I was expecting Maria and Tony to sing it because its my favorite song, but I guess things don't work out the way I want them to!!!  It was a nice way to make the show more worldly, to show a greater cause/problem/solution, but does EVERY show need that?

I probably would have cried if Tony and Maria sang it, so its fine. :P.

The dancing was amazing to see on stage rather than the movie, just again, AMAZING.  The fighting choreography was a bit strange, but it always is.  The mambo scene was very very well executed.

Maria was played by a classically training singer, PERFECT, no EEEEEE sounds on her notes.
Tony sounded very very feminine, but had a lovely voice.  I didn't believe his acting much because of the femininity, but he got over it midway, and started to sound just right--maybe someone told him, haha.

All in all, a good experience.  I hope everyone can see it, even if its in forever to get cheap tickets. :-).


2 comments:

  1. Last time I went to a Broadway show was way back in 07 to see Phantom. The phantom stole the show, his voice completely overpowered everyone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. andrea, your posts have made me want to start writing in my blog.

    i miss you and love you and i'm sorry this has no relevance to your post.. but i'm glad the play was good! =]

    ReplyDelete